[icon-document DOWNLOAD PDF VERSION]
POSITION PROFILE: LA STAGE ALLIANCE
TITLE: Executive Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5:00 PM on Friday, September 4, 2015
The Organization: LA STAGE Alliance is a nonprofit arts service organization dedicated to building awareness, appreciation, and support for the performing arts in Greater Los Angeles. Since 1975, LA STAGE Alliance has worked to empower artists and engage audiences of Greater LA through a series of programs, events, and advocacy efforts. All of its initiatives aim to serve and strengthen the sector — both at an individual and community level. Specifically, LA STAGE Alliance provides resources that facilitate audience engagement, collaborative marketing, community building, and professional development.
Position Overview: LA STAGE Alliance is hiring a full time Executive Director to manage and oversee both the external and internal management of the organization’s programs and activities including Membership, LA STAGE Tix ticketing services, the annual LA Ovation Awards, Arts Journalism Program, LA STAGE Day, LA STAGE Space and many other performing arts-related initiatives and activities in Greater Los Angeles. The Executive Director articulates and executes the vision and strategic direction of LA STAGE Alliance.
Requirement Overview: A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience is required and a Master’s Degree in an arts-related discipline is highly desired. A minimum of 10 years of experience working in Los Angeles-based arts organizations and/or nonprofits. Hands on experience in Development including grant writing and grants management. Preference will be given to candidates with a strong fundraising background. Recent demonstrated experience in the successful management of an arts-based budget of between $500,000 and $1.5 million is also sought. The ideal candidate possesses human resources experience and managing a staff of between 5 and 10 persons as well as volunteers and interns.
The Executive Director reports directly to the LA STAGE Alliance Board of Governors, which is responsible for the overall direction and financial oversight of the organization.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
LEADERSHIP, OPERATIONS & FINANCE
● Develops, maintains and supports a strong and committed Board of Governors; serves as an ex-officio of each committee, seeks and builds board involvement and recruitment with strategic direction for ongoing and new local and regional programs.
● Articulates the vision and strategic direction of LA STAGE Alliance, implementing its Strategic Plan, and recommending short term and long range plans to the Board, staff and memberships, articulating both the short term and long term vision of the organization to relevant stakeholders and ensuring that the organization’s overall objectives are met.
● Oversees the preparation, implementation and monitoring of annual fundraising, marketing and financial plans.
● Leads ongoing and new local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, consistent quality of finance and administration fundraising/grants, communications and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the organization’s strategic goals.
● Actively engages and energizes LA STAGE Alliance stakeholders, staff, Board of Governors, partnering organizations and funders in LA STAGE Alliance’s activities.
● Provides leadership, coaching, as well as develops and retains LA STAGE Alliance high performance staff, volunteers and interns.
● Collaborates with the staff to ensure effective administration of all programs, finances and facilities.
● Ensures effective systems are in place to accurately track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the Board of Governors, funders and other stakeholders.
● Submits written reports to the Board of Governors, as directed, on all aspects of the organization. These reports will include, but are not be limited to: budget forecasts, programming updates, personnel issues and status of all grants submitted and awarded.
FUNDRAISING & COMMUNICATIONS
● Expands all fundraising including support from individuals, as well as local and regional grants and other fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional alliances, while simultaneously improving LA STAGE Alliance’s existing financial stability.
● Deepens and refines all aspects of communication including, but are not limited to: LA STAGE Alliance’s website/s presence and media platforms with the goal of creating and enriching a stronger regional brand and engagement with stakeholders.
● Utilizes external presence and relationships to recommend and garner new opportunities.
● Serves as primary spokesperson and public face of the organization.
● Oversees marketing and outreach of LA STAGE Alliance’s programs.
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to the LA STAGE Alliance mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
● Advanced degree, both a Bachelors of Arts (required) and Master’s in Arts and management related fields (desired), with at least 10 years of senior management experience; a proven track record of effectively leading and locally and/or regionally scaling a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to demonstrate specific examples of having developed operational strategies that have the potential to lead to the next stage of growth.
● Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
● Excellence in organizational management with the ability to mentor staff, manage and develop high performance staff, set and achieve strategic objectives and effectively manage an arts organization budget.
● Past success working with a Board of Governors with the ability to both cultivate existing Board members and assist in the recruitment of new Board members.
● Strong marketing, public relations and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary management skills.
● Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and an innovative approach to management.
● Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of stakeholders.
● Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
• Candidates MUST be able to pass a background check.
• LA STAGE Alliance is not able to provide relocation assistance for this position.
• The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by Executive Director. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the Executive Director.
• Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
• Staff members are expected to consciously and continuously promote the mission, values, programs and impact of the organization when presented with opportunities for participating in membership development, and reach out to personal connections on behalf of LA STAGE Alliance.
• LA STAGE Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We support, promote and embrace a diverse workforce.
● Salary and benefits are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
● LA STAGE Alliance offers a comprehensive insurance benefits package, which includes medical, vision and dental coverage for you (no dependents), with no employee premium contribution, beginning the first of the month after 60 days of employment. After one year and 1,000 hours, the position will be eligible for the LA STAGE Alliance’s 401k retirement program, including any potential matching funds to your 401k contributions provided by LA STAGE Alliance.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your interest letter, along with your resume and 2 references, outlining a summary of demonstrable accomplishments to:
Chair of LA STAGE Alliance Recruitment Committee
via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged.
Alternatively by Mail:
LA STAGE Alliance
4200 Chevy Chase Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90039
Attn: Recruitment Committee
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5:00 PM on Friday, September 4, 2015